The Spectacular Lynne Matson Interview Day 4

Hello everyone. I'm so happy your here, and I hope you enjoy this part of the interview as well as the others!
This first question is really two questions, but I'll give them both to you as one!

Question 13

Derpy: How did you come up with Charley and Thad? And how did you come up with the concept of the island and the gates?

Lynne: NIL was born in Hawaii, on the big island. I was on vacation there, and as we left the airport after landing, we drove through miles of ancient lava fields. Broken red rock stretched endlessly on each side, gorgeous and desolate. There were no roads, no buildings, no people–just the sound of wind blowing over the barren rocks. The surrounding silence was powerful, like it had a presence all its own. I remember thinking how creepy it would be to wake up there, all alone, and I remember thinking how much it all looked like an alien planet (think DUNE). And I remember thinking how scary it would be as a teen, to wake up by yourself, not having a clue where you were or how you how got there, and what if–because isn’t this every person’s worst nightmare?!–what if you woke up naked? NIL was born in that moment. The main characters fell into my head, almost fully formed, like the story itself. And the gates? I've always wondered about those parking lot shimmers…like if I could catch one, it might me something MORE. : ) And so they snuck into NIL too.
Question 14

Derpy: How long did NIL take to write?

Lynne: First draft, about six months. Then revising and editing took over a year.
Question 15

Derpy: What days do you find it hard to write?

Lynne: The weekends because of family and LIFE. : )
Question 16

Derpy: What are some good tips for writing a chapter in a book?

Lynne: The best advice I've ever received is to guard the start of the chapter and the end like precious jewels--make the start and end of a chapter valuable, so the book is hard to put down.

Some great advice from Lynne there, hope I see you tomorrow for another part of this interview!


To check out Lynne's Blog click here, for FaceBook click here, for Twitter click here, for her GoodReads click here, to pre-order NIL click here or here and to read my review of NIL click here!


Lynne Matson

Anonymous

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: